The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Walk to the Future
Walk to the Future
June 6, 2024
Garcia waits to sing at the Memorial Day parade.
Singing in Chicago
May 31, 2024
College Tips
College Tips
May 31, 2024

Pro/Con: School Drug Testing

Does drug testing benefit our school system?

Pro:

Drug testing is a preventative measure in order to convince students not to test out these mind-altering and threatening substances. 

This drug testing creates an environment where students understand that there are consequences to your actions. Drug testing prevents students from doing drugs, and creates a safe work and school environment. The usage of these life-ruining substances are held at bay by drug testing, as students are in fear of the repercussions of their choices. The idea of a drug being discovered in someone’s system is enough for many to question whether or not a few hours of a high are worth their futures. 

Drug testing’s ability to stall or even stop an individual’s usage also creates a more safe and productive work environment. When people are not constantly high, or are able to be in the right state of mind, they are less of a risk to others and a better member of society overall. 

However, drug testing does not only prevent students from taking drugs, but it also helps identify teens who might have addiction problems, or who may need help. If organizations or schools can know when an individual is using drugs, they are able to try their hardest to provide help for the individual. An addict fighting for their freedom from their drug might be too scared to look for help, so instead drug testing provides a way for help to find the individual instead. 

In conclusion, drug testing is a way for help to find those who need it, and foster a more productive and safe work and school environment. Drug testing creates a better world with a brighter future. 

Con:

Drug testing brings nothing but anxiety, plucking kids out of their classrooms for hours at a time to get a pee sample that they may not even use can freak out even the kids who don’t partake in drug use. The fact that one little mistake can dictate your whole life contributes to the constant anxiety that floods students minds, and some may say “well then just don’t do it then” but as kids their minds are naturally curious yearning for an explanation as to why everyone else wants to do it.

School officials also drug test the students that they believe are less likely to appear as positive. That means that if you are in lots of sports, extracurricular activities, and even in AP classes you are more susceptible to being drug tested than if you were to be inactive in our school community. Overall the utilization of these drug tests is useless, it brings nothing but anxiety to students and their families whether you’re a druggie or not.