Categories:

Gabriel Sletto

With multiple different activities and bands, Gabriel Sletto has to manage his time to be an avid participant
Gabriel Sletto

With over 100 students who participate in band, Gabriel Sletto (11) was introduced to music at a very young age. Inspired by his father Johann Sletto, Crown Point’s band director, he is now a part of the jazz band and marching band.

“I enjoy it a lot, it helps a lot with stress, and the people in there are really fun to be with,” Sletto said. 

Being influenced to join band by his father, Sletto has created many core memories along the way. Sletto has been involved in the music community since 5th grade and plays the saxophone. 

“My favorite memory from band was probably ISSMA, state last year when our band was the best it has ever been,” Sletto said. 

Band is an extracurricular activity that requires practice and puts one on a stand in front of lots of people which is one of many challenges Sletto has experienced during his music career.

“Challenges I’ve overcome in band were definitely how well you’re gonna do, just having to be confident to do it then not mess up, just being relaxed and confident to do stuff,” Sletto said.

Not only does Sletto prioritize band as one of his main activities but he has also been playing tennis since his freshman year and is on JV.

“My friends pressured me to do it so I decided to try it out and it ended up being very fun. It’s good to get out there and do a sport so it’s just really fun to be in that community,” Sletto said. 

Managing time is a key factor to being able to do multiple activities at once which is what Sletto has to do to prioritize band, tennis, and school work itself. Overall, Sletto introduces himself to new likings as he grows older and even follows his father’s footsteps into having a love for music while liking sports at the same time.

Want to recommend an athlete, student, or faculty member for a spotlight? Use the link below:

Spotlight Recommendation Form

Donate to Crown Town Media

Your donation will support the student journalists of Crown Point High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.