The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Staying on Track
Staying on Track
April 24, 2024
Unmask the Dance
Unmask the Dance
April 24, 2024
Chance to Dance
Chance to Dance
April 24, 2024

Skin Care Blowup

Is there really an age limit on skincare?

Treating yourself to products that can make you feel good is a part of having good mental health, but like all good things, too much can be unhealthy.

The popular Tik Tok products of Drunk Elephant Dew Drops and Laneige lip masks have not only been making their way to growing teens, but also the younger upcoming generation. 

Ten-year-olds are now following in the footsteps of their “big sisters” and dropping the dolls so that they can moisturize their face with a $68 moisturizer. The trend has since expanded onto the older girls making fun of the younger girls, calling them “Sephora kids” and claiming that the parents are enabling the problem. Is that really the case?

According to frontrangedermatology.net, “Dermatologists recommend using skin care products starting around age 12, or whenever puberty starts.” That being said, it can be very detrimental to younger girls when they are putting on all the products filled with many different chemicals on their faces at such a young age.

“I think that kids under the age of 11 should not be using more than face wash and facial moisturizer. Honestly, they have baby skin and do not need to be putting all of that stuff on their face, unless they have really bad acne problems,” freshman Valerie Shackles said.

Depending on if the child has acne or not, in the end everything is up to the parent and what they choose. However, it is beginning to be a bigger issue where the kids are now destroying the property of Sephoras around the US all because of a trend.

“I think it’s a little weird that kids aren’t really playing with toys as much anymore and instead are really focused on their looks,” Junior Izzy Egner said.

Considering there are 7-year-olds making ‘Get Ready With Me’ videos and posting them online for people to view is a little scary. When Barbies got replaced with cleansers, and other toys got replaced with toners, concerns began to rise in the actual skincare community. 

There are now alternatives to these popular skincare products, Bubble being the most widely known. It is an easy and less harsh alternative to the skincare made for more mature skin, so that the younger girls are still able to have fun but be safe. This whole ordeal is what it is like being a big sister. We need to understand that the younger generation will always look up to us and we will always be their first role model.