The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Staying on Track
Staying on Track
April 24, 2024
Unmask the Dance
Unmask the Dance
April 24, 2024
Chance to Dance
Chance to Dance
April 24, 2024

Pro/Con: Should E-Learning Replace the Traditional Snow Day?

Virtual Classes are Preferable to the Traditional Snow Day of the Past

Pro: Calling e-learning days instead of snow days has innumerable positive impacts. Students are able to continue their education with the ability to avoid a lack of routine which has had direct correlation to positive test scores and overall higher grades. By utilizing technology to host e-learning days, school districts are able to allow students to have a longer summer break, and help to have the entire district running on-schedule. In conclusion, e-learning is a feasible alternative to snow days that provides a productive learning schedule for students, and assists in having an overall longer break time later on in the year.

E-learning Days Do Not Provide Students with Proper Education

Con: Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic, schools have used e-learning days as an alternative to snow days. When students attend classes at home it creates an environment where learning does not flourish. Teachers assign minimal work because they believe true learning cannot take place over a screen. The National Library of Medicine surveyed hundreds of students about in-person learning compared to e-learning and the results showed that students preferred in-person learning. The implementation of e-learning days is simply a way for corporations to minimize the length of the school year and make an overall worse learning experience for students.