Dance Marathon 2023

Marianne Gerona

Crown Point High School’s Student Council hosts an event called Dance Marathon, in which any and all CPHS students are invited to attend. Dance Marathon is an annual fundraiser that’s goal is to raise $10,000 to give to the kids at Lurie Children’s Hospital in Chicago.

The event is run through Student Council officers and members. Olivia Helmuth (12),

Student Council President, goes into detail about the event.

“Dance Marathon is an event that raises money for Lure Children’s Hospital, specifically for the hospital’s renovations and additions that help create a more welcoming and comfortable environment for the children that have to stay for extended periods of time,” Helmuth said.

The event, despite the title, is not limited to dancing. There’s food, tug-of-war, water balloon fights, dodgeball, and basketball–to name a few.

Aside from the activities students can do for a good cause, Sean Dorsey (12), Student Council Vice President, adds to the importance of the cause.

“Dance Marathon is a great time for us to spread awareness and raise money for Lurie

Children’s Hospital. From the games to the moral dance, everything is so much fun. To know that all the proceeds go to such an amazing cause and place is truly the best thing imaginable,” Dorsey said. “Dance Marathon, to me, is the best way to truly know that my time within Crown Point and Student Council meant something and made a difference in kids’ lives.”

Shane Dorsey (12), Student Council Treasurer, also affirms that the most important part of the event is to raise awareness of all the ways anyone could help children who are less fortunate as they are.

Dance Marathon takes place on Friday, May 19, in the gym from 4 to 8 pm. This event costs $15 to attend and is open to all students at the high school.