The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Back with a Banger
Back with a Banger
April 29, 2024
Loving Tan Fake Tan
Loving Tan Fake Tan
April 29, 2024

Teachers Receive $15,000 Grants

Three Crown Point teachers received Lily Grants giving them up to $15,000 to rejuvenate their teaching experience.

Matthew Barno a social studies teacher at Crown Point is using his grant to explore America. ” I will be setting out in June driving the old Route 66 that got decommissioned in the 1980s,” Barno said. Barno plans to visit several national parks and historic landmarks along the way. After he travels up the coast of California visiting more landmarks and observing surf culture Barno plans to use this trip as a way to better the student experience.”The western expansion especially Route 66 I have not studied thoroughly. By going along that route and small towns I can bring a better understanding to my students and give more tangible examples,” Barno said. By traveling the country Barno will gain a unique experience and make students comprehension of American history easier after seeing it for himself.

Ryan Collier a math teacher will be using his grant to explore the varying extremities of America. “Over next year’s winter break I will head over to Minnesota and do a dog sledding cross-country skiing trip and then spring break of 2025 I will be going down to the Florida Keys to snorkel for a week,” Collier said. Collier hopes that these experiences will allow him to gain a new profound energy in his teaching “The overriding goal of this grant is to help teachers hit reset and get a chance to get away and renew themselves,” Collier said. This renewal will take away from the stress that comes with being a teacher as well as provide a more saturated learning experience.

Eric Beard an English teacher will be using his grant to pave a path to mindfulness and a connection with nature. Beard plans on traveling out west to pursue three passions, literature, nature, and mindfulness. ” There are two authors I will be researching while I am out there. I am doing a yoga and meditation retreat to hit the mindfulness aspect. Then my family will meet me out there afterward to explore some national parks on the West Coast,” Beard said. By becoming in touch with himself and nature alike Beard will be able to stay present in the classroom revamping the teaching experience and the student’s encounters at school.