The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Checkmate, Your Move

Have you ever considered learning the masterful and skillful gameplay it takes to win a game of chess? The Crown Point High School Chess Club officially returned in 2022. Years after the club had disappeared, the students of Crown Point restored the club.

“I started the Chess Club because I wanted to play chess with people in person,” senior Yusuf Suleiman said. “The school used to have a chess club, but it didn’t exist anymore, so I decided to start it back up. This year we plan on going to individual state as well as team state. We are going to hold individual tournaments and maybe team tournaments for the community.” 

The main goals of Chess Club are to improve game play, challenge yourself and others, meet people, and most importantly, have fun. The club meets almost every Thursday after school from 2:45 – 3:30. 

Mrs. Raloff sponsors the club and gives the students a fun space to learn to play chess.

“Students can join the club by coming to any meeting after school on Thursdays in C112. Students who want to receive updates should find Chess Club on Parent Square,” Mrs. Raloff said.

Members of the Crown Point Chess Club finished last year with a bang by going out and competing in Regional Chess Tournaments. Several members of the team qualified for the State Chess Tournament. The Chess Club plans on holding its own tournaments at CPHS, where the tournament winner will receive a prize. 

“I’m very excited to be the tournament director of the Chess Club this year,” senior Logan Pauley said. “It’s a very unique job and experience for me. I feel like this year we are going to be able to have a lot more opportunities. We are going to be able to expand the Chess Club, have more fun, and play more chess.”

The Chess Club is growing strongly with over 20 students already regularly attending club practices. This year the club officially has more boards, so anyone who comes has the opportunity to play. You can come and learn about the wondrous world of chess by joining the Crown Point High School Chess Club.