The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Back to Track
Back to Track
May 3, 2024

Divorce of Degrees: IUPUI Splits

Divorce of Degrees: IUPUI Splits
ESPN

Indiana University – Purdue University Indianapolis, commonly known as IUPUI, announced that they will be splitting up into two separate institutions.

The joint school established in 1969 announced that in the Fall of 2024, there will be two schools, completely separate from one another. Indiana University Indianapolis (IU) will teach most of the programs currently taught at IUPUI while Purdue University in Indianapolis will operate the Schools of Engineering, Technology and Computer Science.

This decision comes from the IU Board of Trustees and the Purdue Board of Trustees. The Memorandum of Understanding, signed by both schools making the split official, calls “for a more energized role for each university and the production of more graduates ready to participate in the modern economy.”

Both schools are planning to enhance their own individual programs. IU is planning to enhance its IU School of Medicine so that they can better prepare their graduates who are headed to the medical field. Purdue is planning to expand its Mitchell E. Daniels, Jr. School of Business as well as their Agriculture, Health and Human Services, Science, and Pharmacy schools from their West Lafayette campus to Indianapolis. This allows each school to focus more on their strenghts. Purdue is also planning to add another twenty eight acres to their campus and a new residence hall, allowing 1,000 more students to attend.

“Through this agreement we will unlock the remarkable potential of both institutions to meet the needs of our city and state,” IU President Pamela Whitten from News at Indiana University said.