The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

BPA succeeds at Regional Leadership Conference

Crown Point’s Business Professionals of America succeeds at their Regional Leadership Conference

Crown Point High School’s Business Professionals of America Chapter blew away the competition at this year’s Regional Leadership Conference. Competing against 9 other schools in the area, students at Crown Point showcased their knowledge in finance, business administration, digital design, and many more business-related areas. Students also competed in individual and team presentation events demonstrating effective communication skills and knowledge of business-related topics.

A record number of students qualified for the State Leadership Conference taking place in Indianapolis in March next year. “Having over 90% of our students qualify for State is a great success and shows the hard work and dedication of our BPA members,” Co-Advisor Scott MacFarland said. “I think BPA students are some of the hardest working students at Crown Point and I think they did really well. I look forward to seeing them carry this hard work into our upcoming State competition.”

Students cannot wait to go to Indianapolis for the State Leadership Conference. “Getting first at Regionals in an event I’ve never done before was a great accomplishment. I know the competition at State will be much harder but I am ready to win,” sophomore Xzavier Menchaca said.

Other competitors cannot wait to go back to State and do better in their event than they did last year. “Last year we were one spot away from qualifying for nationals. We definitely have a lot of committed guys this year and I think if we all commit to our team roles, we can make it to nationals,” Chapter President Panagiotis Mattingly said.

The advisors cannot wait to see the success students bring to State this year. “Now that Regionals is over, the work is starting all over again for students to prepare for their events. The tests at State are more difficult than the tests at Regionals and the expectations for presentations are much higher,” Co-Advisor Mary Bachnak said.

Jerzy Mayer, a member of the State Officer Leadership Team, has been excitedly waiting and preparing for the new additions to State. “This year’s new community service project, Meals on Wheels America, creates more opportunities for our members to get involved and truly shows what BPA is all about,” Region President Jerzy Mayer said.