The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Back with a Banger
Back with a Banger
April 29, 2024
Loving Tan Fake Tan
Loving Tan Fake Tan
April 29, 2024

The Power of Social Media

Social media influencers impact viewers of all ages

Social media has taken the world by storm. High schoolers are being exposed to unlimited opportunities available through social media, whether good or bad. High school students spend a lot of time on their phones, and when any social media platform is right at their fingertips, it can be hard not to “keep up with the trends.”
Influencing encourages and persuades others to adopt or support another’s personal ideas. When people claim to be social media influencers, they are making it their job to promote certain products, ideas, and other influencers to their followers online.
“I think they’re just doing what they enjoy doing, and we just find it entertaining because they are just being themselves,” sophomore Mia Grimaldo said.
Being an influencer is considered an actual job instead of a hobby. In the past, being an influencer was not considered a sustainable career, considering that there were fewer ways to make money off of it. Now, some are making six figures and have more money-making opportunities. They can promote products to get money from sponsorships, and different social media platforms even pay people to use their websites as well.
Many influencers use marketing as a form of income, but when influencers get lazy, they do not always try the product yet still falsely advertise. A tanning company asked beauty influencer Mikayla Nogueira to promote their product. When she obliged, they expected to receive many sales. They discovered that she did not actually use their product and falsely promoted them on the internet. Many of these lies can include editing photos or distorting their morning routines.
By editing photos, influencers alter their appearance to fit into the new beauty standards. Trying to look “perfect” for their followers can have an overall negative impact on many teenager’s mental health. According to McLean Hospital, it can be physically and emotionally damaging when filters are applied since it can be difficult for teens to tell what is real.
Social media intake can heavily contribute to the way teens act today. Without social media, we would not have ten-year-olds trashing Sephora or placing harmful chemicals on their faces so they can be “trendy.” On the flip side, many teens are also inspired by influencers and can better themselves by looking at their content or buying their products.
“I feel like they have a good impact on the majority of people. It depends on the influencer and what they are putting out on the internet,” Grimaldo said.
Whether it be a six-figure career in the future, a side job while in college, or even a product sponsorship in high school, media influencing has multiple pathways for all interests. Media is good in moderation, and students should be able to live their lives without focusing too hard on the next trend.