The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Back with a Banger
Back with a Banger
April 29, 2024
Loving Tan Fake Tan
Loving Tan Fake Tan
April 29, 2024

The Inside Sweep

CUSTODIANS

Around every corner of the school are the faces of the people who clean up all its cracks and crevices and silently dissolve our biggest messes. The custodians may be in front of students and staff every day, but the vitality of their services may be overlooked. Without them, CPHS would not be as clean and safe of an environment as it is, and to know these people is to appreciate them.
“I like to clean, I actually was in food service first for the first several years of my career at the high school I’ve been in Crown Point Schools for 18 years and in this position for 7 years and I really just like to clean,” head custodian Dianne Bushma said.
Although the cleaning itself can be enjoyable for the custodians, there are other and more unexpected factors that make the job not feel like work.
“There’s a lot of kids that randomly come and help me and pick up stuff and sometimes it’s the kids that you think they would not, but they do. There’s a lot of good kids here,” custodian Kelly Kersten said.
Another custodian on Crown Point’s staff, Eric Johnson, touches on the subject.
“We have a good staff and a lot of camaraderie and I just love working with fellow custodians. We are like a team,” Johnson said.
Throughout the school are these people who come here every day and work equally as hard for this school as everyone else. Because of them, we can enjoy the atmosphere, and none of it would be possible without the custodians.

We have a good staff and a lot of camaraderie, and I just love working with fellow custodians. We are like a team.

— Custodian Eric Johnson

MAINTENANCE

Throughout Crown Point High School, the maintenance staff is among the many notable people running the school. The head of maintenance at CPHS is Dustin Tattersall, the maintenance foreman. Tattersall has always been mechanically inclined, having worked on cars and doing his own carpentry and plumbing. Working at CPHS allowed Tattersall to showcase his skills.
“I have done things like rebuilding cars and I have done my own carpentry and plumbing,” Tattersall said. “I love doing all of that kind of stuff. It was just a good fit for my skills and my talent.”
Tattersall worked as part of the maintenance staff for six years until he became the maintenance foreman. Now, Tattersall looks over a team, and he enjoys being a part of the leadership team.
“I have been part of the CHPS crew for over six and a half years now,” Tattersall said. “I got to a leadership position with about six years of actually working as a maintenance technician. Now, I have a team underneath me that I help to guide.”
Tattersall hopes to have a long career at CPHS, hoping that CPHS will provide a decent and comfortable future when his work is here finished. He plans on continuing his career within the CPHS community, staying for as long as he can.
“I hope to have a long career here,” Tattersall said. “This kind of position provides a nice pension and retirement plan, which helps set me up for the future. I would hope to be able to continue my career path with this organization and be able to retire from here. I want to gain the pension and everything else that may come with it.”
Without Tattersall and his team, CPHS would not have the necessities that they need. Next time you see one of them, thank them for the hard work that they do every day.