The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Academic Super Bowl Team Makes History

Four of five teams qualified for the state championship
  • Academic Super Bowl Team

• The Science team of Max Poole, Sarah Leitzel, and Billy Roman won first place and was one of 7 teams in the state who qualified in class 1.

• The Math team of Max Poole, Sarah Leitzel, and Eva Obetkovski won first place and was one of 7 teams in the state who qualified in class 1.

• The English team of Eva Obetkovski, Bella Lamparski, and Cailin Ward won first place and was one of 7 teams in the state who qualified in class 1.

• The Fine Arts team of Vanessa O’Lena, Myles Querimit, and Maya Leestma got second place and was one of 7 teams in the state who qualified in class 1.

The Crown Point Academic Super Bowl team had a historic night at Merrillville High School in the Indiana Area Academic Super Bowl meet.  Four of the five teams qualified for the state championship, a first for Crown Point.

The English team of Eva Obetkovski, Bella Lamparski, and Cailin Ward won first place and was one of 7 teams in the state who qualified in class 1.

“It felt amazing to qualify for state. I was so excited. We’re so excited to go down to state and compete. We got first for English and first for math. Honestly, to prepare we meet outside of school, and on weekends we have study sessions and go through questions. For English, we watched the movie over and over again and had movie nights together. We spend a lot of time together, which has helped us connect as a group,” Eva Obetkovski said.

The Fine Arts team of Vanessa O’Lena, Myles Querimit, and Maya Leestma got second place and was one of 7 teams in the state who qualified in class 1.

The Math team of Max Poole, Sarah Leitzel, and Eva Obetkovski won first place and was one of 7 teams in the state who qualified in class 1.

The Science team of Max Poole, Sarah Leitzel, and Billy Roman won first place and was one of 7 teams in the state who qualified in class 1.

The combined results of all five teams qualifies Crown Point to take part in the Interdisciplinary competition.  Crown Point tied Penn for the highest score in the state overall.

They will compete on May 4th at Purdue University in five different categories, the first time for Crown Point.  To qualify for state, a team had to be in the top 7 of 70 schools in class 1.

John Lambersie and Jason McGee coach the team. Information for this article was submitted by John Lambersie.