The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Striking Out
Striking Out
May 17, 2024
Ready to Win
Ready to Win
May 17, 2024

What is Certamen?

Crown Point’s Certamen Team competed in jeopardy-like competition at South Bend

The Crown Point High School Certamen teams competed at the Indiana Junior Classical League’s inaugural Floralia Certamen Invitational at The Stanley Clark School in South Bend, IN on Saturday, April 27.

Crown Point entered six teams in the competition: two at the novice level, two at the intermediate level, and two at the advanced level. All teams competed well, and Crown Point returned home with two first-place trophies. Overall our placings were as follows:

Novice: 4th & 6th  (Coach: Mr. Jeremy Walker)

Intermediate: 1st & 3rd (Coach: Ms. Angela Taraskiewicz)

Advanced: 1st & 3rd (Coach: Mr. Ryan Collier)

In the Novice division, the team of Annelise Jacobi, Kalei Maynard, and Asher McAlvey placed fourth, and the team of Gabriel Blake, Jacob Boron, and Shaun Ipema placed sixth.

In the Intermediate division, Lincoln Vickers and Luke Waldschmidt placed first while the team of Jillian Boren, Joseph Stewart, and Jack Watson placed third.

In the Advanced division, the team of Sammie Ipema, Gibson Mehrle, and Jackson Vrlik placed first while Logan Pauley and Hayden Smith placed third.

We are extremely proud of all these students and look forward to our next season of competitions during the 2024-2025 school year. 

Story Submitted.

• CP Certamen teams who competed at the IJCL Floralia Certamen Invitational Front: Luke Waldschmidt, Lincoln Vickers, Annelise Jacobi, Jillian Boren Middle: Sammie Ipema, Shaun Ipema, Jacob Boron, Kalei Maynard, Gabrielle Wagner, Gibson Mehrle, Jack Watson Back: Jackson Vrlik, Joseph Stewart, Asher McAlvey, Hayden Smith, Gabriel Blake, Logan Pauley

• The first place Advanced Crown Point Certamen team: Sammie Ipema, Jackson Vrlik, Gibson Mehrle

• The first place Intermediate Crown Point Certamen team: Lincoln Vickers and Luke Waldschmidt