Journalist of the Year

Christopher Gloff editing video for CP Quick Cuts.

Victoria Blachut, Staff Writer

Crown Point High School senior Chris Gloff was recognized as the 2023 Indiana High School Journalist of the Year by the Indiana High School Press Association. 

Among the numerous submissions across the region, Gloff stood out through the crowd of eager participants with his dedication to his craft that has provided news to the Crown Point community in his four-year journey in journalism. According to CPHS radio and TV instructor Brent Barber, “Chris exemplifies what a good broadcast journalist is.”

“I’m really excited,” Gloff said. “I’m especially excited to be going to the national convention in Tennessee. It feels great to finally be recognized on a larger scale for the hard work I’ve put in for the last four years.” 

Gloff’s hardwork and dedication hasn’t gone unnoticed at the high school.  “When I first began working with Gloff as a freshman, I noticed he was always the first kid to show up and the last to go home. Long after most students call it quits, considering their work covering an event ‘done,’ Gloff stays to interact with the people he covers to get further insight into their organization, personalities, and what makes them tick. That’s when the good stuff emerges,”

Crown Point High School’s Yearbook Adviser Lisa Keene said.

I’ve already sent it off to the colleges. If I place well in nationals, I think it can really help push me to do some good things in college and beyond, Gloff said. Other than that, I think it can just propel me to want to work harder on everything I do. This surreal feeling will hopefully push me to get that as much as possible everywhere I go.

— Christopher Gloff

According to IHSPA, Chris’ portfolio showcased his journalistic skills, commitment to leadership, and dedication to various storytelling methods to reach the Crown Point community.

“This candidate shows a clear commitment to journalism and rich storytelling,” Lisa Renze-Rhodes said, a contest judge and Ball State University’s Manager of Unified Media.

His overall dedication to his field of work made a huge impact on former JEA state director and retired student media adviser Nancy Hastings. “Chris is passionate about his desire and need to report the truth through broadcast journalism,” Hastings said in her JOY evaluation.

He was awarded a scholarship of $1,000 from the IHSPA, an area where he personally has served as a student president on their Executive Board, and will carry on his journey into the nominee list for those entitled for the JEA National Journalist of the Year award where he will be eligible to receive $3,000 in scholarships. 

“I’m really excited. I’m excited especially to be going to the national convention in Tennessee. It feels great to finally be recognized on a larger scale for the hard work I’ve put in for the last four years,” Gloff said.

The accolades and compliments are many for Chris Gloff.  As he finishes his senior year at CPHS, he looks forward to more leadership opportunities to push his college career forward.

“I’ve already sent it off to the colleges.  If I place well in nationals, I think it can really help push me to do some good things in college and beyond,” Gloff said. “But other than that, I think it can just propel me to want to work harder on everything I do. This surreal feeling will hopefully push me to get that as much as possible everywhere I go.”

• Christopher Gloff reports on Quick Cuts about 5G network.

• Christopher Gloff programs and edits the upcoming week of Quick Cuts.

• Christopher Gloff reports on the change of schools in the last 100 years.