The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Back to Track
Back to Track
May 3, 2024

Seasonal and Weather Changes Can Lead to S.A.D. Disorder, What Should You Look Out For?

As the seasons progress throughout the year and the leaves begin to change, sometimes the way that we see the world changes as well. It is often debated whether or not the seasonal mood change effect is real or not, but without a doubt it is. According to Mayo Clinic, a lack of sunlight and a problem with certain brain chemicals stops the hypothalamus from working properly during fall or winter seasons. This affects the production of melatonin and serotonin in the brain, causing one’s mood to decrease severely. This is actually called Seasonal Affective Disorder. 

Symptoms of this disorder may include feeling depressed most of the day, loss of interest in hobbies, feeling sluggish or agitated, difficulty concentrating, and much more. It’s not a fake disorder and should not be taking lightly, as some cases may even lead to suicidal thoughts.

However, there are various treatments for this. The most popular is light therapy, where one sits a few feet away from a special light box which mimics outdoor sunlight, causing a change in the brain chemicals linked to mood. There are also various medications and therapies that can be tried as well.

If you think you or someone you love is suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder, it is important to reach out to a medical professional or a psychologist. It is a real thing and it is crucial to take care of oneself and one’s well being.