The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

National Award Received By Frau Carey

+
Mason Erbini

Crown Point High School German teacher Candis Carey was one of six German educators across the nation to receive the Goethe-Institut / AATG Certificate of Merit. This award is given out to teachers by the American Association of Teachers of German for their outstanding teaching, alongside their creative and successful activities that help to promote the awareness of the German language and culture.

Carey serves on numerous state and national boards of German teachers. “I was President of the Indiana Chapter of the American Association of Teachers of German.  I was on the board of Executive Directors as the central regional representative for the national group of German teachers. I am also on the board for the Indiana World Language Teachers and I plan the exhibitors at the annual conference,” Carey said. 

Carey also works hard to help other teachers accurately represent the German lifestyle. “ I present at a lot of conferences and workshops and I share a lot of ideas with other teachers.”

Carey was nominated through the national organization by Angelika Becker, a teacher at Carmel High School, who was her mentor for student teaching. “I am honored to have been nominated and chosen for this award. It definitely means a lot,” Carey said. “It’s just been really nice that so many people are reaching out and saying that I deserved the award. Old students have even sent me emails congratulating me.”

Carey will be officially recognized at the American Association of Teachers of German Awards Presentation on Sunday, November 12, 2023.