The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Staying on Track
Staying on Track
April 24, 2024
Unmask the Dance
Unmask the Dance
April 24, 2024
Chance to Dance
Chance to Dance
April 24, 2024

Turnabout 2024

Starry Night
Turnabout+2024
Makenna Carmichael

Every year CPHS has Turnabout, which is different from other dances because it breaks social norms.  In this dance, the girl is meant to ask out her potential date rather than the typical boy asks girl. Many students look forward to this dance. This year’s theme was Starry Night prompting students to explore a galactic choice of attire..

“I had a good time getting ready and dressing up because that’s always my favorite part,” junior Eris Pauley said.

Musical taste changes almost every year. Each generation has its big hits and songs that evoke a sense of emotion from their youth. This year at the Avalon Manor the music was reminiscent of a decade ago.

“I feel like the DJ every year isn’t what I want it to be, and I know they can’t play certain songs but, there’s so much that I want them to do. It seems like we aren’t getting that,” Pauley said.

Despite it being a school dance, there was a lack of slow dance music playing leaving couples unable to enjoy an intimate moment with one another. 

“They started playing some rap music, and they played one slow dance song. I would have appreciated another,” Pauley said.

Pauley wasn’t the only one craving a more romantic setting. One of the biggest letdowns seems to have been the lack of slow dances. This is something that could be fixed next school year if students become vocal about their experiences.

“The music was good, but I wish there were more slow ones played,” senior Tori Mollenkopf said.

Some might say this year’s turnabout was the best they’ve experienced, however for those who are a bit more seasoned, they might have other opinions. 

“I would say it was less crowded and less energetic than previous times as this was my senior year,” Mollenkopf said. 

Overall the event was enjoyed by students across all grades.

“Turnabout is always one of my favorites because everything feels so formal at the Avalon Manor,” Senior Ethan Ogrentz said.

There are so many other reasons to go to dances. It provides opportunities for students that they otherwise wouldn’t have.

“I’ll go every year. I love getting pretty. I love getting the photos. I love people doing my makeup,” Pauley said.

The actual dance is only one part of the cake. Sometimes the icing adds just enough to tie the night together and make the overall night memorable for students.

“After It ended, we went to get ice cream at Coldstone,” Pauley said.

Turnabout was an out-of-this-world and memorable part of the 2024 school year, especially for seniors who experienced a bittersweet ending to the starry night.. 

“It was sad that it was my last Turnabout, but we went all out for an amazing night,” Ogrentz said.