The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Chasing The Future
Chasing The Future
May 16, 2024

“Imaginary Friend” with the realest writing

gray318
Cover of the novel “Imaginary Friend” by Stephen Chbosky.

The novel “Imaginary Friend” by Stephen Chombsky, the author has perfectly conveyed the meaning of the importance of family, the integrity of childhood, and the effects maturity has on a young mind while also being able to infuse the entire thing with a sense of urgency and horror. “Imaginary Friend” is without a doubt one of the most profound and wonderful works of literary art I’ve ever read. 

This novel follows the story of a young boy who moves to a new town and becomes entranced with an “Imaginary Friend.” This friend brings him all kinds of new treasures (money, intelligence, success, etc) but at what cost? 

As a result of the events of the novel, the young main character is forced to grow up and mature way too fast for his young age. The novel then delves into the deep psychological traumas that take place when a person is not allowed to experience their childhood, and must rather become an adult trapped in the body of a child. 

The novel also talks about the depth of mother-son connections, and the deep bond that travels through the bloodline of family. This iconic duo in the novel constantly has each others backs in the darkest of times, and never fail to be there for eachother when it matters. 

In conclusion, the novel “Imaginary Friend” is a must-read that never fails to amaze me. It is a psychological dive into the importance of family and emotional security disguised as a cheesy and nostalgic horror book. All-in-all, everyone should read this novel.