The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Walk to the Future
Walk to the Future
June 6, 2024
Garcia waits to sing at the Memorial Day parade.
Singing in Chicago
May 31, 2024

Absolutely “Bewitched” by Laufey’s New Songs

Absolutely Bewitched by Laufey’s New Songs

On April 26, Laufey, a Grammy-winning pop/jazz singer, recently dropped a special edition of her album, Bewitched: The Goddess Edition. The album contained 4 new singles, including “Bored,” “Trouble,” “It Could Happen to You,” and “Goddess

This album is about love and heartbreak in many forms, including romantic, platonic, and familial. Laufey’s jazzy style is different from a lot of popular music, which makes it so unique. She takes inspiration from her Icelandic heritage and popular jazz-age artists such as Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday.

The classical style of her music gives an ethereal aura to her songs, especially the ones with orchestral-inspired backing tracks and harmonies. This album is a perfect mix of scream-your-heart-out, relaxing, and sad, and it can pair well with a lot of other slow indie/R&B styles.

Personally, “The Goddess Edition” added even more charm to the album than there already was. “Bored” has a very sarcastic and fun tone, while “Goddess” is perfect to belt. If I had to pick, I would say “Dreamer” and “Lovesick” are my favorites off the album, as I love the lyrics and the way she shapes her vocals in them.

Although it’s only May, I can already see Laufey on my Spotify Wrapped. I would give this album a 10/10, and I definitely recommend giving it a listen.