The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Staying on Track
Staying on Track
April 24, 2024
Unmask the Dance
Unmask the Dance
April 24, 2024
Chance to Dance
Chance to Dance
April 24, 2024

Protecting the Peace

Getting to know the faces of the ones who keep our school together.

Throughout the school, there are many faces behind the curtain that are vital to the production and management of Crown Point High School. Among these are the patrol officers of our school, Leslie Malerich and Cepriana Monteleone.

“Honestly, I just really like to help people. I just knew it was the field for me, and every day is different.” said Monteleone, who is now residing at Taft Middle School. 

Although the field may be rewarding, it is not always easy to break into. To be an officer, one must pass a physical test, a written test, an interview, and a background check.

“With becoming a police officer, there can be a lot of ups and downs, it’s a rollercoaster. It can be a long process, or a short process, you never know.” said Malerich.

After the journey was complete, the women both found their way to the high school in different ways in becoming School Resource Officers, or an SRO. The job is vital to schools in assisting school administration in maintaining a safe and secure environment.

“Tentatively, I’m filling in, and I’m very interested in the SRO role. I really enjoy talking to the kids and helping out wherever is needed.” said Monteleone, who has also worked at Hebron High School.

While the women are extremely relevant to keeping our school safe, there is more to the role than just the job description– the officers are tied to the roots of Crown Point. Malerich, who has lived here for six years, touches on the subject.

“Being at Crown Point, I just want to continue getting to know the community. Crown Point is such a large city that has so much to offer, but when you’re here at the school, you really get to know who you’re protecting in the city.”

Just like any job, being a patrol officer has its pros and cons. For Malerich, one of her biggest detriments has to do with the quick-paced atmosphere.

“You have to be able to really adapt to the atmosphere you’re going into, and be able to read it quickly to find out the best action to take,” said Malerich.

For Monteleone, the helper in her brings out some conflicts on the force.

“It can be hard on the job, because things can take a while when it comes to things that need to be fixed, and I’m a fixer.”

On the flip side, there are so many things that make the job worth it, as Monteleone discusses the bonds formed with the community.

“There’s a lot of things, but especially working in the schools here, I love to be able to interact with everybody. Students, but also faculty. It helps me better understand the community.” 

On the same note, Malerich agrees. “The best part of the job is definitely getting to meet people and know people.”

As a whole, the patrol officers on the force contribute to society and to Crown Point High School in subtle but loud volumes, and as individuals, Monteleone and Malerich’s influence in protecting the school lies dear in the heart of the community.