Crown Town Media Students Earn Awards at State

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FRANKLIN, IN

The Indiana High School Press Association challenged student journalists to go “ALL IN” at the 2023 state convention on the Franklin College campus Friday, Jan. 27.

In addition to its mission to support scholastic media across the Hoosier state, the event focused on the theme “ALL IN” and the significance of developing well-rounded journalists who are skilled in all aspects of journalism and communication.

Over 512 students registered from across the state, and the day featured a keynote presentation by veteran Chicago journalist David Haugh. Haugh is the co-host of the “Mully & Haugh Show” on 670 The Score and was formerly the longtime “In the Wake of the News” columnist at the Chicago Tribune. Haugh spent 17 years at the Chicago Tribune after starting his career at the South Bend Tribune.

Crown Point High School senior Christopher Gloff introduced Haugh and was voted the Indiana High School Press Association Student Board President for 2023.

“The IHSPA has been a large part of my journalistic journey throughout high school, and serving as the vice president last year and the president this year has really allowed me to explore the evolution of journalism in such an untrusting era,” Gloff said. “I hope to bring more media convergence to the IHSPA, as well as introduce younger students to their opportunities in journalism when they get to high school. I hope to broaden the reach of the IHSPA and strengthen the journalistic community throughout the state.”

The IHSPA named the Excalibur Yearbook a Hoosier Star Finalist.

Yearbook Division III Rowena Harvey Awards:

1st Place – Advertising

1st Place – Academics

1st Place – Theme Development

2nd Place – Clubs/Organizations

2nd Place – Index

3rd Place – Feature/Student Life

Newspaper Division III Rowena Harvey Awards:

1st Place – Feature/Student Life

2nd Place – Clubs/Organizations

2nd Place – News/Current Events

2nd Place – Opinion Writing

3rd Place – Multi-Page Design

Two photographs are linked below:

Christopher Gloff, IHSPA Student Board President 

CPHS Crown Town Media at IHSPA

Front Row: Emily Wake, Caitlyn Osika, Avery Moore, Raquel Ruffin, Makenna Carmichael, Joshua Hedges, Hailey Lloyd, Rylin Sherron, Ariel Moore

Second Row: Adviser Lisa Keene, Vivian Keene, Adviser Chris Gloff, Shawn Hughes, Elisha Lane, Mason Waters, Madeline Degenhart, David Pineda, Adviser Jennifer Bianchi

Third Row: McKenzie Poer, Hayden Kay, Miles Verpooten, Christopher Gloff, Ryan Welsh, Adviser Brent Barber

Fourth Row: Aadil Khan, Madeline Thunberg, Katie Mahle, Xavier DeVany, Tymon Koelmel, Not pictured: Liam Greene and Jordan Manojlovic