The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Back to Track
Back to Track
May 3, 2024

Review: Come on Barbie Let’s Go Party

On July 21, “Barbie” was released and changed the cinematic universe forever.

The pretty-in-pink Barbie movie, featuring Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, and Will Ferrel, presented the idea of a perfect, female dominated society. The Barbies live in and run Barbieland. Margot Robbie’s character, Stereotypical Barbie, suddenly starts facing problems that Barbies aren’t supposed to have. She has to go to the real world to help fix her human-altered thoughts. However, while Barbie is learning about real life, Ken is, too.

In a race against time, horses, the patriarchy, and toxic masculinity, Barbie has to restore Barbieland to the perfect world it used to be. I really enjoyed this movie, and I thought that the underlying themes were perfect. It was an outwardly entertaining movie that pulled more heart strings than expected.

This movie received a lot of love and hate, but I think most of the haters did not understand the message behind it. Barbie was made to empower women, not put others down. It was meant to bring awareness to sexism and how it is overlooked even when pointed out. It shows the strength of women despite how they express themselves. Most importantly, everything needs balance in order to function properly.

Through decades-old dolls, Greta Gerwig was able to direct a movie about the importance of making everyone feel seen in one fell swoop. With great laughs, a representation of being a woman in today’s society, an amazing soundtrack, and a pinked-out wardrobe, the “Barbie” movie definitely gets a 10/10 rating from me.