The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Back to Track
Back to Track
May 3, 2024

POPPIN’ in Behind the Scenes

Creating a successful musical production takes countless hours of preparation, planning, rehearsal, and repetition to polish the show into a memorable and exciting event. The students, staff, and faculty dedicate their time to create an unforgettable experience for not only the audience, but also for the cast and crew.

“I don’t know much about theatre, but what I do know is that in the end a beautiful visual masterpiece is created for my and many others’ viewing pleasure,” Senior Ariel Moore said.

The creative process of even picking the musical is a side we don’t see much. The director, Mr. Flewelling, tells us that choosing Mary Poppins as the selection for the Crown Point High School Musical this year was a difficult and complicated process. The directors originally wanted to select a musical featuring the Christmas season because the musical was moved into the fall. After considering the schedule and the students, they decided that a better route was choosing Mary Poppins. 

Directors spend hours before the fall semester brainstorming ideas for the musical. During the summer, the team creates a clear plan of how they can put their ideas together to make a successful production. Several directors like choreographers, costume designers, set designers, and others are all involved in the decision making process. 

This year they came up with a brave, new concept to “fly” Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins is “practically perfect in every way” as she flies into London with her umbrella. In order for our Mary to fly across the stage, our musical team has to get a fly director. 

“Right now, I’m in contact with a fly company so that we can make Mary Poppins fly,” Flewelling said. “So I deal with the contracts that go with that, and how it’s going to work.” 

Students who tried out for Mary Poppins had to sing and dance for the directors. There were four try out songs: “Practically Perfect,” “Being Mrs Banks,” “Jolly Holiday,” and “Cherry Tree Lane.” After students audition, they may be chosen to participate in the musical as INKLINGS Oct. 2023 09 either an ensemble or cast member.

“It was nerve-wracking, but I would say I had fun being surrounded by those who make me feel good. We first started with the vocal tryouts which made me scared, but I got through it with amazing singers and actors,” Junior Rylee Sites said. “Then it went to dance tryouts with the same people we did the vocal tryouts with which made the dancing fun.”

Along with the flip of the musical from spring to fall, we also welcome a new director to the theater department. Not only is Mr. Flewelling one of Crown Point High School’s physics teachers, he is now the theater teacher. He is very excited about his new opportunity to take on this role.

“I absolutely love it. There’s so much about the class that’s amazing. It’s been really enjoyable to step into this position. And it’s cool too because I still have physics classes. So, it’s the best of both worlds.” Flewelling said. 

This November, CPHS will debut its production of Mary Poppins. You can come see the spectacle of Mary flying across the stage, witness the dynamic songs, and masterful choreography. The students will dedicate endless hours this fall into creating this magical experience and the talented staff who are devoted to ensuring their students’ success.