The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Back to Track
Back to Track
May 3, 2024

Editorial: 4 Day School Week

According to CBS News, nearly 900 school districts in the U.S. have switched to four day school weeks. Even though there are more than 20 states that have such districts, Indiana is still not one of them. As many others consider an alternative schedule, should Crown Point follow the growing trend and adopt a four day school week?

If the district were to apply the new system from elementary through secondary levels, there are many things to consider. Picking which day of the week to remove that is convenient for everyone is impossible to do. There are multiple different ways to configure the new system that may be unique from what other schools have done.

While some entire districts are going to four days, the change might better serve just the high school. As students expand their social lives, get jobs, and have more extracurriculars, a four day schedule is more appropriate for older teenagers. One way to maintain consistency in the district but still give teens flexibility is to keep a five day week, but have students choose which days they go based on when classes are given. For one, it would provide an easier transition to college life or creating job schedules. The structure would not be dissimilar to hybrid schedules many students have already experienced.

Teachers could maintain their normal pay and campus resources could still be available five days of the week. However, there are some snags that come with the new system. In order to meet state instructional time requirements, time would have to be added to each day. Also, if elementary schools were included in a four day arrangement, extra daycare services would need to be provided. For parents, this might not make financial sense even if it would benefit the school corporation.

In conclusion, while a shorter schedule has potential benefits, implementation will take very careful consideration across the district to ensure Crown Point’s needs are met.