Teacher of the Year

High School English Teacher Allison Florek wins Teacher of the Year for CPHS

Katie Mahle, Lead Writer

Teachers are what determine futures, they build kids from the ground up. Some teachers make huge impacts on their students because they invest in their students from the start.   They know how to make a seemingly boring subject more exciting than expected. In order to determine the best of the best, we as a corporation have a Teacher of the Year Award. This year’s award goes to our very own cherished teacher, Mrs. Allison Florek.

Her love for teaching began as a high school student here at Crown Point High School when she had a multitude of great English teachers, one being Rachele Raloff, who still teaches English and AP Seminar.

“I had really good English teachers in high school. One of them is Mrs. Raloff, who works here now. She was my English teacher during my freshman year, and I think she was one of the reasons I really started loving English,” Florek said. “I credit her and some of my other English teachers for my love for English and just reading and discussing,” Florek said.

She first started teaching 7th and 8th at Saint Mary’s in 2011, before coming to Crown Point High School in 2013, to teach 9th grade English, 9th honors English, and Engage 9. 

She takes a different approach, like taking it slow. She takes her time on everything. If you don’t understand, she’ll take some time for you

— freshman Nolan Cicero

Being Teacher of the Year can mean many different things for different people. For Florek, the love and support she received after hearing that she would be Teacher of the Year was beyond what she could have imagined.

“We were in a staff meeting and it was announced. I was very surprised, and everyone in my meeting group was obviously very supportive. It was surprising, and exciting,” Florek said.

Although she gained help from her colleagues, she in return helped so many kids from her time of being at CPHS.

“She takes a different approach, like taking it slow. She takes her time on everything. If you don’t understand, she’ll take some time for you,” freshman Nolan Cicero.

Mrs. Florek reviewing the debate project with her students.

The impact that she has on others is special to most, which is why it is so important that she establishes a welcoming environment for all the new freshmen who walk into her room. 

“I want my classroom to be a place where students feel seen and heard. They know what’s expected of them. I want it to be somewhere where they can learn, have fun and get to know each other,” Florek said. “I want students to feel like they have a say in what we’re doing, and that they can share ideas and feel like they’re in a safe space for doing so. A lot of English is sharing thoughts, ideas, and discussions, so I think making students feel like they belong is important,” Florek said.

Engaging kids is a big thing. Depending on the student, they may have different obstacles. Florek allows students to feel comfortable in their own skin while teaching them English skills that they can use throughout their lives. 

“She’s really patient with students and she does a good job telling us how to do things correctly, and she took the time out of her resource to help me,” Freshman Sofia Wireman said.

“Florek will try to carve out as much time for her students,” said by one of her co-teachers, 

Haley Krane who is an English teacher at the high school. “Florek helps to enable them to be able to come to her with their problems and feel comfortable enough to talk to her about certain subjects.”

Pullquote Photo

I want my classroom to be a place where students feel seen and heard. They know what’s expected of them. I want it to be somewhere where they can learn, have fun and get to know each other

— Teacher of the Year, Allison Florek

“She’ll make you feel valued, she’ll ask for advice or input and she always makes you feel like whatever you’re contributing is valued. She’s just a great teammate,” Krane said. 

After the announcement, people started to flood her with interviews and pictures throughout the day. With this new found “fame” it was nice to always have a familiar face around.

“I got some emails from people and words of encouragement which was nice,” Florek said.

“One of the teachers encouraged her students to come take pictures with me and congratulate me, so I’ve met a lot of new people through that, which was kind of funny,” Florek said.

Krane, who works right across the hall with Florek, has known her since she started teaching. Florek helped Krane as a mentor while continuing to add more fun aspects to the role of teaching. For example, dance parties on Friday’s, where they play music during passing periods and dance along the rhythm with ribbons twirling in the air.

“On dance party Fridays, no one has a better rhythm than she does. As far as teaching goes, she’s just great at teaching the students who love her. I love watching her teach,” Krane said.

Freshman students celebrating Mrs. Florek’s award.

Florek started her journey in 2011 at Saint Mary’s, officially starting at Crown Point in 2013, and has been teaching ever since. 

“At both schools I felt very supported, at this school there’s just a bigger department to work and collaborate with.” Florek said.

She started from the bottom just like everyone else and is now being honored in a way that some dream of. Her teaching journey goes to show that the relationship between the teacher and the student matters. Congratulations to Mrs. Florek for winning teacher of the year. You deserve it.

Follow us

Check out more from Inklings