The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Back to Track
Back to Track
May 3, 2024

A Life Full of Secrets Entices Readers To Discover A Journalist’s Life

“The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo”, a critically acclaimed novel by Taylor Jenkins Reid, recently became popular on #Booktok. The novel tells the story of a famous Hollywood actress, Evelyn Hugo, and the stories behind her seven marriages.

At the age of 79, Evelyn Hugo decides to reveal her life full of secrets to the world. She hires Monique Grant, a struggling journalist, to write her story. As Evelyn recounts her life from the very beginning of her career to the end, more and more of her secrets are revealed to Monique. The increasingly confused yet intrigued journalist finds herself wondering what she has yet to discover about the mysterious actress.

At first, I was skeptical of this book, since some #Booktok books are overhyped and not as good as they are made out to be. However, Evelyn Hugo pleasantly surprised me. Throughout the book, there were many twists and turns that I did not expect. The symbolism also really spoke out to me, including the gowns, which represent Evelyn’s false personas.

I think that one of the biggest messages in the book was learning how to love, in every sense. With self discovery comes love, and I feel that this book did a really great job of displaying that meaning. Overall, I would recommend this book, and I’d give it a rating of 8/10.