The Student News Site of Crown Point High School

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Crown Town Media

Batter Up
Batter Up
May 7, 2024
Going Yard
Going Yard
May 7, 2024

Madison Dubiel Plays Her Best

John J. Watkins, The Times of Northwest Indiana

Crown Point High School’s Point Guard Madison Dubiel has set herself apart from previous CPHS point guards.

Dubiel has always loved being on the court and playing basketball. “I started playing basketball in 3rd grade and have played for several travel teams across the years,”  said Dubiel.  She always dreamed of having the varsity point guard position on the court and playing it to her fullest potential.

“Madison has done a fantastic job. The point guard position in our program has usually been filled by the best player on the team, the region, and oftentimes the best player in the state,” said Head Girls Varsity Basketball Coach Christopher Seibert. “She had some big shoes to fill and she filled them well. She is fearless, she plays with confidence on the offensive and the defensive end and she is amazing. She is like having another coach on the floor – she knows where everyone is supposed to be and her teammates respect her leadership.”

The Sectional game against Portage was definitely an important game for Dubiel and the team. “The Portage game this season was definitely my favorite. Our leading-score was out of the game so I had to really step up on the court and I was able to do that,” said Dubiel. The Dogs ended up winning the DAC sectional 65-44. Dubiel contributed greatly with 16 points, five assists, four rebounds and four steals.

Dubiel believes what has set her apart from other point guards in the past is her playing style. “I’ve made myself a distributor instead of a score-first player. I really just set up the offense and I will look for other people’s shots instead of my own,” said Dubiel.

The Lady Bulldogs have a record of 10-9 and plan to continue playing their best ball until the end.